Effective July 1, 2022, the Green Tree Library Board has adopted the following policy related to donations of materials:
MATERIALS DONATED TO THE LIBRARY
Green Tree Public Library accepts donations of gently-used books and other materials monthly, typically on the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please refer to the Library’s events calendar for upcoming donation dates. On these days, Library volunteers will be on hand to help receive and sort through the donated items. Collecting and organizing these materials takes a great deal of time and effort, and therefore the Library has established the following policies related to accepting donations of materials.
The Green Tree Library Board has adopted the following polices related to the donation of materials:
Types of Acceptable Materials: In order to maximize the reuse of donated materials, the Library will accept only the following types of donated materials:
- Hardcover books for adults, including works fiction and nonfiction
- Paperback books for adults, including works fiction and nonfiction
- Young Adult and Children’s books, including works of fiction and nonfiction
Excluded Materials: The library is not able to accept other materials not specifically mentioned in Section A, including but not limited to the following:
- Reference books, including encyclopedia and similar materials
- Large dictionaries
- Textbooks, cookbooks, or computing/technology books
- Reader’s Digest, Cliffs Notes, or similar condensed materials
- Dated publications, e.g. tax guides or test-prep guides
- Magazines and other periodicals
- Videos and music, e.g. CDs, DVDs, or VHS tapes
- Damaged materials or materials in poor condition, such as those having torn pages or excessively worn covers; materials with yellowed, brittle pages or damaged binding; dirty or dusty items; stained, water damaged or mildewed items; materials with excessive notes or highlighting.
Health and Safety Considerations
- Donations should be submitted in boxes or sturdy bags that are easily carried.
- Boxed materials for donation should not weigh more than 50 lbs. or exceed 18” x 16” x 12” in size.
- Donations may only be accepted on scheduled donation days to ensure that Library staff and volunteers may safely process and store materials.
Use of Materials
- Donated materials are the property of the Library and may be used at its discretion for purposes it deems necessary or appropriate.
- The Library will provide receipts for donated materials at the request of the donor. However, Library staff and volunteers are prevented by law from providing a value of donations for tax purposes.
- The Library reserves the right to accept/decline materials or to discard them as necessary due to limitations of storage space, cost considerations, or staffing.
- Donated materials may be used as part of Library book sales or other fundraising activities, and unused or unsold materials may be donated to outside organizations at the discretion of the Library Board.