What are Text Notifications?
The library offers notification service through phone call or email for items you order or check out. Did you know that you can receive notifications by text, too? The text notifications are an optional free subscription service that enables you to connect to the library accounts via text message. You can receive notifications, renew checked out items and request information about your holds, checked out items, and late fees with this service. In order to sign up for text notification, you must have text capability on your mobile phone and a PIN number attached to your library card account. Don’t have a PIN (or can’t remember it)? You can set one up here or by calling or stopping by the library.
How to sign up;
- Add (412) 459-7442 to your cell phone contacts. This is not required, but it is recommended.
- Simply text SIGNUP+your 14 digit barcode+PIN to (412) 459-7442. Please note, you must included the plus sign (+) between each element of the text.
- You will receive texts confirming your successful sign up.
What types of notices can I get?
- Hold Pickup Notices: Hold pickup notices are sent when a requested item is available at your pickup location.
- Renewal Notices: Renewals notices are set 3 days before an item is due.
- Overdue Notices: The first overdue notice will be sent when the item is past due. Subsequent overdue notices will be sent when an item is 7 days, 14 days, and 21 days overdue.
- Library Card Expiration Notices: Library card expiration notices are sent 30 days before your library card expires.
Will I continue to receive library notices via email or phone call?
Yes. Text notifications are supplemental to existing notification methods (phone, email) and you will continue to receive notices via these methods when you sign up for this service.
For more details, visit Help on Catalog Page.
This is a free service offered to anyone registered at an Allegheny County Public Library. Depending on your cellular phone plan, additional per-message charges may be assessed by your carrier.s