September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a month in which libraries remind parents and their children that having a library card is the key to lifelong learning. Libraries can help parents save hundreds of dollars in educational materials, too! But library cards aren’t just valuable for children; perhaps you have a friend who doesn’t have a library card, or maybe you know someone who thinks libraries are old-fashioned and doesn’t see the value of them (we know, it’s hard to imagine).
Share the library love this month and encourage anyone you know without a library card to visit their local library and sign up. If they need some encouragement, show them this list of everything that you can access or borrow for free with a library card!
With your library card, you can:
- Borrow an American Girl doll
- Help your kids with their homework using the Power Library
- Stream audiobooks, ebooks, movies and music with Hoopla
- Learn a language with the books and CDs in our Nasri Language Collection or learn remotely with Duolingo or Mango
- Borrow magazines, either in the library or online using Flipster or RBdigital
- Find a job using our career books or the online resources for job seekers on our website
- Research current events with Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Find out how to fix your car with the Chilton Library
- Research your ancestry with Ancestry Library (available for in-library use only)
- Access Gale Legal Forms
- Borrow DVDs (at Green Tree, you can borrow up to 25 at one time!)
- Take home a board game and have a family game night
- Start a book club with one of our book club kits
- And of course, you can borrow books!
You can do all of this and so much more with one card! How much money does your library save you every year? Use this handy calculator to find out!